- Ground up diversity trend - The name itself hints that there is something that sounds above the ground or else unusual. Yes, to be true as, Sir Kin Robinson campaigns of ground up diversity gives a different turn to the education by talking, advising, writing and teaching the concept. The concept believes that the world is different from either side of the table and so is the sulk of learning. The student usually learns faster by talking, discussing, writing and teaching in turn to each other. Thus, learning with fun remains constant through the entire session.
- Underground education trend – Opps! Don’t think that we are going somewhere underground to accomplish this…Hahahaha…that sounds too funny. But on a serious note, it means to dig out that which roots you. Or else say to experience the real world around which actually one has to face. Thus, students are brought into live and practical situations, as books can teach them to face the real-life situations.
- E-learning and MOOCs – E-learning and massive open online courses (MOOCs) has materialized the learning concept online basically for those students who are willing to learn, but are unable to do so. Some students may lag behind because of lack of resources, money or background, yet e-learning concept has widened their base and that too without any cost.
- Technology-based learning – With its boom in the 21st century, technology-based learning is popular round the globe. Technology has not only connected the world, but has also given them a widespread platform to explore, innovate and share their thoughts. This in turn influences open learning concept without any bar.
- Expeditionary learning – Learning something more and even more, to expedite the talent is a tough yet necessary learning trend. It helps students in focus learning and undertakes to learn in a better and deepens form.
Learning is beyond the limit, in fact where it’s limited, it stops. Either the forms or the trends both should go on…..and that too in a more indulging and involving way in every adding step. However, two things should remain common no matter whatever the educational drift is- First, is to impart learning and second are to keep the learning spark alive by making it a fun learning. Thus, below mentioned are such 5 modern educational trends that accomplish the two needs as required –
As in case of all walks of life, higher education is also undergoing changes and reinvent itself to meet up with the changes caused by digitization. The use of applications such as Go Class, iPad and Broadcast in classrooms has become quite common these days. Therefore, many educational institutions have adapted with blended learning in order to meet up with changes in the field of education.
So what is blended learning? Blended learning is different from face to face teaching and isn’t as seamless as it may appear. In order to make blended learning possible, there is a need to bring about a change in time-tested methods of learning. In the age of the internet, people are changing. The time and costs associated with mode of learning are changing. You need to open upon with your research skills for students and is highly interactive by nature.
Students who opt for this mode of learning and will have access to study material across the world. Blended learning supports face to face teaching as well as a learning method. It offers students the autonomy in order to grasp knowledge with precision. It also propagates computer literacy among the students who opt for this mode of learning. Here are some of the major reasons why blended learning is suitable for modern students: -
This is a model of blended learning which involves active participation in online as well as offline learning. A specific time period is needed in order to complete a wide range of tasks which are assigned to a specific type of students. The reason why it is called rotational model is that the groups rotate across the tasks in a timely manner and each group takes in their own tasks.
A highly flexible model
This is a highly classified mode for learning which students can acquire in the campus of an institution. Academic concepts and teachings are delivered to students via iPad or any tool irrespective of time limit. But individual tutoring can also be offered by a teacher if it is necessary.
Enriched virtual model
Under this model there is no pressure on students to visit an institution in order to study. Virtual teachings are offered through broadcast, webinar or any other mode for interacting with the teacher. These days, institutions and universities come up with their own applications for the convenience of people.
“Deep and meaningful learning experiences are best supported by the active learners”
Technology has been fascinating and challenging the human brain over the generations in diverse fields. Whether it be social or cultural development, nothing has been left untouched by it. No doubt technology has made human life easier on earth; we can see its impacts in every arena of society; agriculture, education, environment and so on. However, the intention of this blog is to magnify another derivative of technology in education: blended learning.
Blended learning is defined as “a coherent design approach that openly assesses and integrates the strength of face to face and online learning to address worthwhile educational goals” (Garrison D.Randy, Norman Vaughan. Blended Learning in Higher Education.2007).
The conventional method of teaching in a classroom is now transformed into online training environment where verbal instructions, within four walls, are accompanied by technology based teachings. Both are carried alongside to provide a comprehensive and learning experience to the learners.
Such learning involves:
Evolution of learning
Blended learning is based on the need of more engaging learning experience for students. Going back to the last decade, the traditional classroom lectures were the chief play to instill learning and literature in the students but since time is changing rapidly it works no longer. Extensive, tiring, and ordinary lectures reduce the student’s capacity to interact and learn with any interest. This does not mean that lectures are efficient no more since the in-depth discussion and dissemination of information and knowledge is a must even in 21st century. But information and communication technology’s initiative of online learning binds students to knowledge and education maintaining their interest and allowing them to plunge into the pool of information and technology. But neither online learning nor traditional face to face learning would contribute individually in advancement of the conventional ideals of higher education. Thus, blended learning came into existence.
Blended learning in institutions/higher education
Higher education system today is in a pressure to continuously adapt and evolve according to the societal needs as 21st century is striving towards digitalization. As discussed earlier, online or e-learning and traditional pedagogy when come together marks the efficient learning experience for students. Usage of applications like GoClass, Broadcast, and iPad in classrooms would enable both students and educators to move a step further towards education and learning. Therefore, many institution and universities are getting hands on blended learning when the urge for a change in teaching and learning occurred. Conventional face to face pedagogy with internet as a tool in a classroom serves students with better and interactive learning experience.
Also it is a sort of self-personalized learning with institutions’ support to help students exploring and assessing what they prescribe. But switching to blended learning from face to face teaching is not as simple as it appears for the institutions and faculty. Budget expansion and teaching hours without affecting the quality of learning is problematic for the higher educators. Also, implementation of blended learning involves the choice of suitable methods to attain the goals of transformational but innovative learning. Here are provided few of the basic models of blended learning:
Why switch to blended learning?
Go-getting towards digital age, our standard of living has been changing and thus, mode of acquiring knowledge should also adapt itself to blended learning. It has many advantages for students, teachers and future generation itself:
Education can be rightly termed as the backbone of any society, government or organization. Without the right kind of education, success becomes almost impossible to achieve. Hand in hand with education goes teaching methodology or the ways in which education is imparted across the length and breadth of a nation. As times progress, it is natural for teaching methods to change or adapt to new technology for better benefits. So why is it so important to upgrade to new methods of teaching?
1) No stagnancy: For a system to work – be it at the primary level or in universities imparting higher education, there needs to be a design that helps to keep things rolling. Any form of constants in imparting education defeats its most general purpose of giving knowledge. A professional learning community goes a long way to ensure that stagnancy does not get a rank in teaching techniques.
2) Resistance to Change: By nature, we do not like to change and that applies to most things. Stepping out of the comfort zone poses a great challenge to create new paths as well as to accept those new ways.For example, often there is resistance in a community when a certain process is changed in theneigbourhood school. It often takes years to apply an upgraded teaching strategy and to prove that it works.
3) Percolation: Any change that is created at the top level of the education system has to trickle down to the last rank. Similarly, changes in the smaller ranks have to go up to the right levels above it. This movement is not as easy as it may sound.
4) Adapting to technology: Teaching methods have to be adapted according to the latest trends in technology. From the traditional chalk and talk methods of teaching, classrooms have now transformed to accomodate ultra modern audio and visual aids. Use of computers, laptops or even Ipads are common in teaching these days.
5) Networking: One of the most significant upgrades to the education system is the creation of digital networks across various institutions. Now higher education bodies can network and reach out to high schools or even primary schools thus bringing advanced and improved techniques right to the doorstep of the neighbourhood school.
While it is important to create change, it is equally important to see that this change is implemented. A professional learning community can become the platform for creating and implementing the upgradation of teaching methods.
A child learns as much at home as at school. To say that teachers in the school are responsible for all the learning that your child can be subjected to, would be, to say the least, completely wrong. As far as support systems go, your child depends as much on you as their teachers for learning. Sometimes, even more.
As you may have experienced yourself, learning is a lifelong process. And the onus to help your child become a lifelong leaner lies on you more than anyone else. How can you, therefore, accomplish this, mind you, mammoth task of raising lifelong learners?
1) Positive Attitude: First and foremost, develop and cultivate a positive attitude for learning. Children are prone to measure things into two categories – winning or losing. The challenge for a parent here is to erase the hard line between winning and losing and draw a finer one that expresses the importance of learning in brighter terms.
2) Learning from setback: Every body likes to succeed. Everybody likes to win. However, not everyone does. As a parent, you need to make your children understand that not winning is not the end of the world. Setbacks do occur and what you learn from them is what makes you the real winner.
3) Learning from winning: Winners take it all, but sometimes they forget to take any lessons they may have learnt from the experience. Imbibe in your child that when they win, they need to understand that more than the win, what they have learnt from it – is more important.
4) Encouragement: Always encourage your child if he/she seems to express interest in an activity. And encourage them to do it on their own as much as they can without you putting in your inputs. Give them directions at the most if you have to and let them figure it out for themselves. Again, if your child seems interested but reluctant to try an activity, a little encouragement from you might help him cover that extra mile.
5) Reading: Definitely an undermined activity with all the buzz of televisions and video games taking over your child’s life, reading is perhaps the most important habit that you can help to imbibe in your child.
Children learn more from what they see and experience than what is said or intructed to them. Therefore, if you want to raise lifelong learners, you need to practice everything that you like to preach to your little ones.
Are you finding it difficult to get increase the amount of takers of your e-learning courses? Do you know that it takes a lot more than just good teaching text material for an e-learning course to be awesome? Read on to know how you can make your e-learning courses more interesting.
E-learning has suddenly taken the world by storm. It has helped students to get their required learning experience easily and from anywhere with just an internet connection. The global market for e-learning has also grown exponentially and as of now there are reported revenues of more than $50 billion worldwide. But, learning should always be fun and an interesting activity. So, easy learning techniques should not be the only criterion that e-learning should fulfil.
Learning should always be an interesting activity and unfortunately, sometimes, even the most interesting subjects can turn out to be boring when it is under the wrong hands. E-learning is no exception when it comes to this. If your course is not designed with care, it may turn out to be boring and unpopular. Here are some steps which will help you in this matter:
1. Understand the Objective of Your Course
Is your course materials connecting with the students it is suppose to target? If you are making a course for primary school students and you use languages that are at the level of high school students, then your e-learning objective is not on target.
Not only you, but even the students should understand the objective of the course. Will they get to learn what they are expecting? What are the benefits that your students will get after completing the course? Everything should be transparent.
2. Not just interactive, it needs to be practical
It is a good thing that you have made your e-learning courses interactive; but is it serving the purpose. Interactive is the best feature when it comes to e-learning. It lets the learner to have a better control over what they are learning. There are different types of interactive learning processes like click to pop-up, rollover, carousel, flash cards, and the list goes on. You must be aware which type is best-suited for your e-learning courses.
3. Should be functional and easy to navigate
A thing is interesting when you spend a lot of time with it. If an e-learning course is supposed to be interesting, then learners should be able to feel easy to navigate. Otherwise, they would just close the window and never come back. Navigation also helps the learners in their flow of learning. Bad navigational styles make it less efficient and hamper the whole learning process.
4. Use multimedia and games to make it interesting
Multimedia is an effective medium for learning. It helps learners to connect and stimulates the brain to form a memory of the course through visual description. It has been found through research that one can remember things more easily through visual descriptions.
5. Narrators should be able to grab the attention of learners
If you are using narration for some text in your e-learning course, then make sure that you use proper human narration rather than robotic ones. It will give the impression of human interaction. Also, do not use a narration that feels boring. It should be well-articulated and have a script that makes the user understand the topic very well.
The above steps will definitely tune up your e-learning course and make it more interesting that before. If you have any ideas of your own please feel free to share.
Hasib is a professional writer working with one of the top job website in India –Naukri.com. As a career coach, he helps professionals in making decisions related to career and job opportunities. He is an avid reader and lives for two things – football and food. If he is not involved in any of those, you can find him contemplating existential issues. Follow him @ twitter, Google+, LinkedIn
Internships provide a window of opportunity to those looking for hands-on experience to enhance their relevant knowledge and skills required for a particular career field. Short term in nature, Internship is all about applying the theoretical knowledge of the classroom into the real world. Usually, a supervisor assigns specific tasks and does the evaluation of the allotted work. These intern programmes are proving to be very beneficial to every organization. Below are the five benefits of having an internship program in your organization:
1. Streamlining of recruitment drive
Through intern program a company can search a better qualified candidate who is most suitable for the job. Interns give reviews about the intern program and they can refer qualified candidates for the company. These interns can be hired for full time employment if they have proved their worth for the company. Moreover, a company can judge their strength and weakness efficiently which is not very apparent in their resume.
2. Cultivating the crop of tomorrow's Manpower.
By hiring the interns a company is not only providing benefits to itself, infact it is also providing support and skills to the students through employment and training. To put in other way, the company is paying back to the society.
3. Learning with the Interns
It is not that only Interns are getting the opportunity to learn and grow but as a fact of the matter you will also learn while teaching them and answering their queries about organisation, technology and workforce etc. To be a able mentor or teacher employees need to be equipped with required knowledge and skills in order to answer their queries.
4. Widening of the Horizons
Younger generation (or shall I say digital generation) is equipped with modern technology, connected with social media and plugged with digital devices to accomplish their task quickly and efficiently. Learning never ends, therefore, the employees should not shy from learning while teaming up with interns in order to produce innovative products and services for the company.
5. Saving on the Cost
Company can save on its costs and resources while extending this wonderful opportunity i.e., internship to interns who are ready to take on the world. Generally, a company spends a lot on its employees in terms of salaries, allowances, pensions, packages etc. but in case of interns they just need to provide the relevant exposure to the interns who in turn provide their knowledge and innovative ideas to the company. It is a win-win situation for both parties.
Feeding the body certain foods can keep immunity high. The robust immunity system strengthening foods include garlic, citrus and bell peppers. If you thought that eating your way to good health is a myth, think again.
Citrus's Lemony Power
Many folks turn to vitamin C after getting a cold. But citrus also tops immunity boosting foods found in nature. If you want your immunity system to function at 100 percent, you need to ensure that lemons and oranges form a part of your diet. Vitamin C is directly linked to the production of leucocytes or white blood cells that fend off infections. Vitamin C is ideal for good health. It is also easy to add this ingredient to any soup, salad or dish.
Red Bell Peppers Are Full of Energy
Red bell peppers have twice as much vitamin C as any other source of food. But apart from this immunity-boosting vitamin, it also contains beta carotene which keeps the skin and the eyes in good health.
Broccoli is Best for Health
Green and leafy, broccoli has many vitamins and vital minerals that protect the body. It is high in vitamins E, C and A. This is one of the healthiest vegetables to place on the table.
Garlic is Good
Garlic is anti-inflammatory. It is also perfect for boosting the immunity system. From ancient times, civilizations have been using garlic as a form of cuisine. Garlic also lowers cholesterol and prevents artery hardening. Immune boosting properties come from the heavy concentration of allicin, a compound high in sulphur.
Ginger is Wonderful
Ginger is another ideal food to ward off low immunity and increase the ability of the body to ward off infections. Ginger packs heat in the guise of gingerol, which is akin to capsaicin. Chili peppers contain heat and possess properties to lower cholesterol.
Spinach is Splendid
Spinach contains vitamin C as well as a host of other antioxidants plus beta carotene. The latter which is also found in pumpkins and carrots is perfect for the warding off of germs and fend off infections.
Yoghurt is for You
Probiotic yoghurt is the perfect choice for those who want to stimulate the immune system to fend off diseases. These cultures will boost then the immune system to fend off diseases.
Some of the other immunity boosting foods include green tea and turmeric. The latter also possesses anti-cancer properties. All in all, eating right can be the perfect way to stay healthy.
The world is constantly evolving and changing. Things have come a long way since we started learning in open spaces to the temperature controlled, technologically advanced classrooms of the current times. Here is a sneak peek into how the education has evolved and people have started using education as a tool for overall development.
The older times – There were times when learning happened in the most unusual way. People did not have the right kind of infrastructure to aide learning and the education was imparted in an amateur manner. The stress in those days was on written learning and it was ensured that the students are taught to read and write to earn a living.
The beginning of change – The change started to happen and people started paying more attention to the way in which students spent their day at the school, the infrastructure was developed and technology was introduced. Students were given an opportunity to present to their class and they were taught to speak in public.
How we fare today – The scene of the classroom has completely changed in the modern times. The focus has shifted from teaching to development and subjects are changing from the conventional ones to those that influence the personality growth and development of the students. More stress is given to learning subjects that interest the students than the stock subjects. It is also made sure that the students are prepared to make career choices early on in life while the education is imparted to them.
Learning and education has seen great amount of changes. We do not realize it but the changes that have come about are extremely important and it is seen that the modern education really makes the students ready for their future and life, unlike the education in the olden times that only focused on imparting information.
For those who enjoy no bars held learning, almost anything can turn into a tool for aiding it. One such tool in the recent times has been the mobile. With the increasing popularity of the smart phones, a number of learning avenues and techniques have opened up for those who like to go on learning irrespective of where they are or what they are doing. Here’s a list of ways in which mobile proves to be the most important learning tool for the modern user.
The most common feature of smart phones is the ability to offer access to applications. The applications that are developed for learning a subject, a language or a skill may all be used on the mobile and one may be able to go on increasing their knowledge with the help of the application.
A lot of times the mind feels intrigued and yearns to know the nuances of things. When there is no one to explain, you tend to turn to the mobile for all the information that you need. The online search feature that a web driven mobile offers is one of the biggest instruments that aides learning.
The video playback feature:
Videos and tutorials play a major role in learning trends in the modern times. Almost everyone refers to watch a video or a tutorial in order to learn as compared to reading about a topic. The ability to play videos on the mobile makes it the most loved gadget among those who rely on tutorials for their knowledge database.
As times change and the world advances, the small inventions such as smart mobiles are the ones that make the greatest impact on the knowledge accessibility for people. Without the mobile, one may feel lost out.
Kevin is an enthusiastic writer who
writes and shares interesting blogs. So stay tuned to the blog and
learn with Kevin.